Monday, 31 August 2026

In praise of …… youth hostels

 During my week long visit to Sheringham, I stayed at the local YHA youth hostel.  I have stayed in youth hostels across many countries since the 1990s, the majority of times in the UK.  I admit that I stay in them to save money when I travel alone, although I have stayed in them a few times when travelling with wife or child.  

Another attraction youth hostels have for me is that most have a laundry room, meaning I don’t need to pack so much clothes.  On top of that is the self catering kitchen where guests can cook their own meals, again saving money on eating out. I made the most of the kitchen at Sheringham youth hostel.  Yes, I had to use a shared bathroom but that wasn’t a great issue for me.  This time I reserved a single room rather than a dormitory room for extra privacy. 

I do remember the very social atmosphere in youth hostels lounges when I first used them back then, but not this time.  Maybe things have changed.

Sadly the number of YHA hostels have declined greatly since the 1990s, with more scheduled to close.  I hope I can continue staying in them during future UK visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment