Sunday, 9 August 2026

Epping Ongar Railway

Last Sunday, I went to the Epping Ongar Railway in North East London/Essex.  I've been meaning to come for several years and I'm old enough to remember it as part of the Central Line of the London Undergrou until 1994.

To get there, I took the 339 heritage bus from outside Shenfield station, it is possible to buy a combined bus and museum ticket for £19, which I did. Yup, I'm old enough yo have previously travelled these old London trolley buses with a conductor and you hop on and off at the back.
On arrival at Ongar Station, I was treated to the sight of an old station which made me feel I was transported back to 1950s rural England rather than something that was once part of the Tube.
On entry facing the well preserved ticket office was the old waiting room displaying photographs of the station's glory days. The heritage line is totally run by volunteers and I appreciate their efforts and passion in keeping this operating. 
Next I boarded a diesel powered train to take us all to North Weald.  I do remember sitting on such carriages back in the day. Especially when I travelled from London Euston to Leighton Buzzard on the stopping service.  At North Weald, there were a few engines on display and an old cross country carriage which I remember when travelling to Manchester during my youth.  I peeped inside the still operational signal box, complete with the levers.  Other things to note at North Weald were a red heritage London trolley bus and a 1946 London Underground map.
The return train to Ongar went to Epping first and it doubled back via North Weald again.  Then I took the same green heritage London trolley bus again back to Shenfield station. 

It was a thoroughly enjoyable day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment