Wednesday, 7 October 2026

In search of the dark ages by Michael Wood

 Yesterday I finished reading “In search of the dark ages” by Michael Wood, one of his earlier books, published in 1981 but how was it, let’s find out more.

First of all, like all non historians, I knew very little about the dark ages, especially dark age Britain. One of the reasons is that very little of it is mentioned in the media and taught in schools. So I bought this book last year to learn a bit more.

Like his other books, this is a very readable book and it teaches us the events and personalities of that time period between the end of Roman Britain and the Norman conquest. I learnt about the Saxon, Danish and Viking settlement in England and their local leaders. It also explained how England was divided up between the different ethnic groups.  I was particularly fascinated by his description of the lead up to battle of Hastings and how it was likely fought.  Strangely enough the book content coincides with the migrant problem happening in the UK at the moment, as new arrivals from Europe clashed with existing host communities. Maybe Wood had some foresight back then. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone interested in this less well known part of British history.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment